White Sands National Monument is a photographer’s paradise, where light and shadow frequently change forms amongst the many shifting dunes. Join David Cobb and the Canon Team for an immersive photography workshop in the unique and mesmerizing dunefields. We will use the nearby town of Alamogordo, New Mexico as our base to explore the local landscape, white gypsum sand dunes dotted with soaptree yucca. These landscapes are available via short drives and short (up to 2 mile) hikes.
NOTE: Our host hotel is the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Alamogordo where Canon has negotiated a special rate for workshop attendees which expires October 3, 2019. Please call (575) 437-4000 and mention Canon to make your reservation arriving 11/3/19, departing 11/7/19.
What to Bring:
We recommend bringing a variety of lenses for shooting. David’s favorites in White Sands are the Canon EF 11-24mm f/4,EF 16-35mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 and the EF 100-400mm f4-5.6, along with Canon Extender EF1.4 III. Don't worry -- plenty of loaner geat will also be available!
· Plenty of charged battery packs and memory cards.
· A circular polarizer to fit all your lenses.
· Timer Remote Controller
· A laptop computer for downloading and editing images.
· You will also have the opportunity to submit images to the on-site technical representative who will make one or two prints on a Canon Professional Inkjet Printer for you to take home.
· Bring layers of clothing; Weather can be variable from early morning to noon. Mornings can be in the high 30’s and daytime temperatures can climb into the mid 60’s.
· Blowing sand can be an issue, so bring sunglasses for sand and reflective surfaces.
· Lens cloth for sand on your lens.
· Back Up Drive or portable hard drive
· White/Silver Reflector
· Speedlite (flash unit)
· Flash Drive/thumb drive (to transfer images for critiques)
· Sun Hat
· Sunglasses (strongly suggested)
· Headlamp (strongly suggested)
Each day will feature education on gear and composition as well as photography field sessions during various times of day. You will have the opportunity to learn and experiment with a range of Canon EOS cameras and RF and EF lenses:
· Expert instruction in the field and classroom from David Cobb and support from the Canon Team.
· Access to the latest Canon gear, including the mirrorless R system and RF lenses -- ideal for landscape photography with its full frame sensor and advanced optics (we will do our best to accomodate advance requsts for specific gear).
· 1-2 Professional Prints of your work to take home from a Canon PIXMA Pro Printer
What You Will Learn:
Our goal with this workshop is to explore some of White Sands National Monument’s most photogenic locations, with a special eye on unique compositions, abstracts, and lighting.
David and the Canon Team will guide you through the entire process with dedicated instruction covering the technique and art of landscape photography. Along the way, we will pay attention to lighting, framing, lens choices, and positioning of our cameras for the most compelling scenes. Indoor instruction will concentrate on composition and processing.
This is a unique workshop for landscape photographers looking to improve their photography skills, build their portfolios and have some fun, too! A soft understanding of your camera operations including using manual mode, f-stops and shutter speed is preferred. Basic Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom skills for image processing in helpful but not required.